Wednesday 16 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey



Activity 2: Guardians of the Sea [4 points]
One of the largest rivers in New Zealand is called the Waikato River. It is found in the central part of the North Island of New Zealand. The river (awa) was given the name ‘Waikato’ (meaning flowing water) by a group of men and women from the Tainui iwi who, legend has it, travelled down the Waikato years ago and settled in the area. According to Māori legend, the Waikato River has hundreds of taniwha (mythical water spirits) living in it, guarding the sea.
Unfortunately, the Waikato River has become polluted in recent years and is, sometimes, closed to the public. This is very upsetting for many people, especially for those who believe that taniwha live in the river. Please click here to read about taniwha and watch this short video about taniwha.
Once you have finished learning about taniwha go to your blog.
On your blog tell us whether, or not, you believe that taniwha exist. Be sure to explain to us why you feel this way.

I believe in the taniwha. I believe that it is lurking in the dept of some lake/river somewhere in New Zealand.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Alexander,
    Your opinion is opposite to mine, but it still is your own opinion. I like how you described it lurking in the lakes somewhere, it makes shivers run down my spine! I think it isn't real because I can't believe in those creatures without proof, like I have to see a real loch ness monster to believe it. Maybe next time you could explain why you feel this way.

    Happy Blogging
    Gargee HPS
    hpsgargeej.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Alex,

    Just because we've never seen dinosaurs in real life doesn't mean that they don't exist, right? I like the way you think and really enjoy the way that you have described them to be lurking in the depth of some mysterious lake or river in our beautiful country! I sometimes wonder what they really look like if we ever met them. Maybe we would need to hop on a submarine and go deep into the river, lakes or ocean to search for them. Did you know that 95% of the world's oceans and 99% of the ocean floor has not been explored yet? That's crazy, right?! It can be dangerous, difficult and very expensive to explore these places. I wonder where the taniwha might be hiding... Maybe it's really good at camouflaging too. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Alex!

    Happy blogging,
    Evelyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Alexander,
    I am Vitaraag. I also kind of believe the tainwha. I believe it only a little bit because what would those bubbles be. I think it is the taniwha. Do you want to meet a tainwha? I would definitely. Maybe next time you can say why you think it is real. Keep up the amazing work!

    Vitaraag

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.