Monday 14 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey

Week 4

DAY 1: Preserving the Past



Activity 1: World of Wearable (WOW) Art [4 points]
If we want to protect our natural world, we must be thoughtful about what we make, how we make it and how we dispose of it (throw it away). At the moment, the waste in New Zealand is separated into two main categories: 1. Recycled items (eg. bottles, cans, paper) and, 2. Non-recycled items (rubbish). Most of the rubbish is collected by rubbish trucks and taken to a rubbish tip (landfill) where it is dumped and never used again. Much of the recycled material is to taken to a place where it is sorted, separated and sent out to be used again.
The idea of reusing materials was taken to a whole new level by a woman named Dame Suzie Moncrieff who, thirty years ago, created an event in New Zealand called the ‘World of WearableArt’ (WOW). WOW takes place in Wellington (and in other cities) every year. Artists from around the world create outfits made entirely from recycled materials.
Let’s imagine that you were invited to this year’s WOW awards and you were able to interview the creator.

On your blog, list five interview questions that you would like to ask Dame Suzie Moncrieff.

My Questions:

What gave you the idea to make outfits out of recycling?

How much time does it take to make the outfits?

How much recycling goes into one outfit?

Have you worn any of the outfits, if so are the comfortable?

What style of outfits to you make?


4 comments:

  1. Hello Alex,

    I'm Evelyn and I am working with the Summer Learning Journey team for 2018-2019 to read and follow amazing blog posts like yours! I am so excited to read what pops into that wonderful brain of yours and hope you are having fun on this journey!

    You have really taken the time to think about some of these questions. Terrific work Alex, I would also like to know how much time it takes to make the outfits, it must be quite a lengthy process! Good question, I actually hadn't thought to ask whether or not Dame Suzie Moncrieff has worn one of the outfits before, I think she would have quite an interesting answer for that one. These questions are very well thought out, I think she would need some time to think about her answers - you have given him a good challenge! Have you even been to Wellington before? I went a long time ago so I don't remember too much of the trip. Have you ever seen a World of WearableArt (WOW) show before? I think it would be amazing to see all the different creations!

    Happy blogging,
    Evelyn :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alexander,
    These questions are surely well thought and I'm sure Dame Suzie Moncrieff would be very happy to answer them. I would've asked, "How did you find the perfect sized people to fit in the costume?" I wish that I could go to the show as well as view the costumes up close. Do you want to go to the show?

    Happy blogging
    hpsgargeej.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gargee, Alex here. Thanks for the comment. Yes I'd like to go to the show.

      See you later

      -Alex

      P.S You can call me Alex

      Delete
  3. Hello Alexander,
    I am Vitaraag. These questions are very interesting questions that I never thought about. I think that these questions should go to Dame Suize Moncrieff. Maybe next time you could add more information of your own about what happens during the competition. Keep up the amazing work!

    Vitaraag

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.